AREA BOARD 1
Upcoming Area Board 1 Meetings
- More information to be posted at a later date.
2014 Grants Cycle 37
Get Safe - Amount Requested: $19,964
State Plan Goal – Emergency Preparedness
Get Safe will organize and provide four (4) workshops called “First Responder Training: Enhancing Your Ability to Effectively Respond to Persons with Developmental Disabilities.” Major activities of this project include four separate trainings that will be held in each of the four counties served by Area Board 1. Get Safe will provide a First Responder training that uses proven techniques and tools to help first responders such as police officers, EMT’s, fire personnel, district attorneys, criminal justice professionals, Physicians, hospital emergency staff, and any other service professionals, city employees, community members, etc. The training goal will help them to more effectively recognize and assist persons with developmental disabilities, especially in emergency and crisis situations. The training will also focus on prevention and intervention strategies and help the developmental disabled safely navigate the community and become stronger advocates for themselves. The workshops will include training for up to 200 first responders and other community stakeholders.
- Emergency Planning Training for Lake County
August 7 &8, 2014
Lake County Youth Center
4750 Golf Avenue
Clearlake CA [map]
- Emergency Planning Training for Mendocino County
August 18 & 19, 2014
North Coast Opportunities
413 North State Street
Ukiah, CA [map]
- Special Event: Rowel Family Empowerment Conference
Evento especial: Rowel Familia Conferencia Empoderamiento
Saturday, September 27, 2014
10am - 6pm
Mendocino County Office of Education
2240 Old River Road
Ukiah, CA 95482 [map]
Through an Area Board 1 grant, budding film maker, William French, directed and produced Directing: ABC No Barriers, a documentary which has been an excellent tool for educating the public and business community about the talents of people with developmental disabilities.
Link to Documentary: Directing: ABC No Barriers
Director: William French
Associate Producers: Freda Zody, Jason Rader, Matt Senften
Documentary Funding provided by: State Council on Developmental Disabilities (SCDD) Area Board I, Community Program Development Grant
About the Director:
- One of the individuals featured – DJ Mark Anthony’s business was helped through a prior Area Board mini grant and his business is still going strong.
- The program credits this video as being instrumental in acquiring resources for clients: it was shared with software developers to encourage the developers to consider the program (in the video) as a resource to test the software. The program was given access to very sophisticated software for people with autism and other verbal communication difficulties.